Happy New Year to everyone!
Here is a summary of what we have been learning in P4 this week:
- We started a new class novel called The Legend of Spud Murphy. We will be looking at characters, humour, themes and how the story is told and finding out more about the author Eoin Colfer. We drew and labelled a picture of Spud including her characteristics. We also wrote an email as if we were Will in the story and discussed what “first person” means.
- In Spelling we did a dictation to see how well we had learned all of last term’s spelling words and patterns.
- We practised cursive writing.
- For fun we are reading Matilda.
- We all got our first reading books of 2019- please check reading records. Gangsta Granny and Matilda groups will usually read on Monday; BFG and Dumbledore will usually read on Wednesdays. Captain Underpants will usually read on a Monday and Wednesday. Please complete reading and sign your child’s reading record- thank you!
Numeracy and Maths:
- In time we are learning about analogue time and about minutes to and minutes past and
- We’ve been practising our times tables using Hit the Button- see link below:
- We continued to work on formal addition methods.
Can you set out these sums as column additions and work out the answers?
203+162; 453+234; 38+27; 47+36; 349+464
We are showing our working out by recording any carried numbers above the top number so we don’t get in a muddle.
- In beat thats we were all working on getting faster at take away sums.
- In PE we have worked on gymnastics on mats.
- We created colourful artwork using oil pastels in the style of Steven Brown.
- We acted out some scripted drama of the story of Little Red Riding Hood.
- In our Vikings topic we worked on posters on an area of learning of our choice and we were also researching Viking heaven “Valhalla”.