Literacy & Reading
This week’s new sounds are oo and ew. ‘Tricky Words’ are one and you. Please continue to revise sounds and ‘tricky’ words’ at home.
New reading books will be sent home this week–Monday/Tuesday.
Thank you for signing and commenting in your child’s reading record. (See previous post for information on reading at home)
Below are some tricky words which we are finding tricky to read. Please work on these at home: come, some, one, you
During reading we have also been concentrating on reading with expression and spotting rhyming words.
- Writing – This week we wrote about ‘Snow White’ as part of our Fairyland Topic.
Numeracy & Maths
- We are having a focus on maths skills this week (addition, subtraction, order and counting forwards/backwards).
- Addition – we are encouraging children to use different strategies to complete addition calculations. For addition, we model putting the bigger number in our head and counting forwards the small number – feel free to give this a go at home. Your child should be able to show you how it works!
- Subtraction – we have worked on subtraction calculation this week. To help with skill you can practise counting backwards.
Other Curricular Areas
- P.E. – We have been working on team work games to encourage communication and new friendships.
- P.E. – Children have been enjoying the Daily Mile, Go Noodle and Cosmic Kids Yoga as part of their P.E. too.
- Science – children have had the opportunity to explore how flowers grow, decorate plant pots to grow flowers and explore different types of seeds. We will plant some seeds, watch them grow and learn how to look after these as they grow.
Learning Through Play
- Fine Motor Skills- we continue to focus on hand strength using threading, play-dough and cutting activities.
- Science – children have had the opportunity to plans some bulbs and explore different types of bulbs.
- Role Play – linked to out topic, children have been dressing up and ‘going to the ball’.
- Role Play – in the house corner some children have enjoyed playing ‘families’ and have been looking have their new babies.
- Sand Play – Miss Davidson and Miss McGhee have enjoyed having many ‘ice-creams’ delivered to them. Children have been acting working in an ice-cream shop!
- Play Time – we have been setting a ‘Play Time Challenge’ to encourage new friendships. We have been asking P1 to think of someone in the class they have never played with and ask them to play.
- We are still collecting recycling – we would like to do some junk modelling and build some castles!
- We have a new ‘whole school focus’. In order to become more eco-friendly, we are encouraging recycling at Buckstone Primary School! We are starting small with crisp packets – if your child has crisps for snack we are asking them not to put the packet in the bins outside. We have bins in each classroom for these to be stored and then a main bin at reception that will be collected to be recycled!
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.