Literacy & Reading
This week we are having a revision week!
Please continue to revise and practise sounds and ‘tricky’ words’ at home.
New reading books will be sent home this week – Monday/Tuesday.
Thank you for signing and commenting in your child’s reading record. (See previous post for information on reading at home)
Below are some tricky words which we are finding tricky to read. Please work on these at home: come, some, one, you
During reading we have also been concentrating on reading with expression and spotting rhyming words.
- Writing – This week we wrote about ‘The Three Little Pigs’ as part of our Fairyland Topic. The children used their imagination to write about a fourth pig and what kind of house that pig might build.
- Dictation – children have been working on spelling words using the sounds we have covered. This week we focussed on ‘ai’ and ‘ay’.
- Reading – Children should now be trying to use their knowledge of the digraphs (oo, ee, oi, ch, th, ai etc) to read bigger words.
- We are having a focus on revising maths skills this week (addition, subtraction, order and counting forwards/backwards).
- Subtraction – we have had a whole class focus on subtraction calculations this week. To help with skill you can practise counting backwards. We have also been looking at writing subtractions calculations – remember the larger number always comes first.
Other Curricular Areas
- P.E. – We have been working on team work games to encourage communication and new friendships.
- P.E. – Children have been enjoying the Daily Mile, Go Noodle and Cosmic Kids Yoga as part of their P.E. too.
- Science – we have been exploring different types of materials. This is linked to our Fairyland topic and The Three Little Pigs story.
- ICT – we are now using iPads to support our learning. Children have been great at sharing and not spending too much time on the iPads!
Learning Through Play
- Fine Motor Skills- we continue to focus on hand strength using pegs, threading, play-dough and cutting activities.
- Science – children have had the opportunity to plant some bulbs and explore different types of bulbs – we are still watching these grow!
- Role Play – linked to out topic, children have been dressing up and ‘going to the ball’.
- Role Play – Some children have been enjoying singing and dancing this week!
- Role Play – in the house corner some children have enjoyed playing ‘families’ and have been looking have their new babies.
- Sand Play – children have been exploring wet sand playing with different shaped moulds.
- Play Time – we have been setting a ‘Play Time Challenge’ to encourage new friendships. We have been asking P1 to think of someone in the class they have never played with and ask them to play.
- We have a new ‘whole school focus’. In order to become more eco-friendly, we are encouraging recycling at Buckstone Primary School! We are starting small with crisp packets – if your child has crisps for snack we are asking them not to put the packet in the bins outside. We have bins in each classroom for these to be stored and then a main bin at reception that will be collected to be recycled!
- We were invited to watch the P2 Spring Show. We really enjoyed all the singing and dancing! Well done P2!
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.