P1/2 Learning Ladybirds Blog
P2 Reading was sent home this week, please use the ‘reading rockets’ to support reading at home (these will be sent home in colour when the printer has been fixed). P1 reading will be sent home after the October break – we will continue to read in class.
- Practising listening and talking skills through sharing Everywhere Bear. Thank you for looking after him so well – he has had fantastic adventures so far!
- Answering and asking questions about Everywhere Bear
- We have continued practising writing our name.
- We have also been practising letter and number formation
- Exploring the single sounds of the alphabet (s,a,t,p,i,n,r,m,e,h)
- Learning the ‘Jolly Phonics’ songs and actions linked to each sound – ask your child to teach you!
- Recognising the beginning sound of a word
- Exploring digraph sounds eg. ai and ay
- Exploring block 1/2 tricky words (I, to, the, me, he, was)
- Blending single sounds we know to read/write words
- We have also been exploring rhyming words
- Exploring numbers to 20 and beyond
- Working with ‘Learning Partners’ to explore numbers
- Playing ‘fasted fingers first’ with Miss McGhee – using gloves filled with sand and dominoes!
- Recognising numbers and dot patterns (to 10/20)
- Sequencing numbers
- Matching numerals to dots – you can play this game at home – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/ladybird-spots
- Counting forwards and backwards from different starting points – this skill will really help when we start adding and subtracting numbers
- P2 have been counting in 5s and learning how to ‘tally’ numbers. This is to help us with data collection
- P1 have been outside with the Butterflies and Dragonflies learning about numbers to ten and beyond – making and writing them!
- Wednesday P.E. (skills focus) – throwing and catching
- We have been practising under arm and over arm throwing and using these skills in games
- We have also been practising aiming and throwing at a target from a stationary position and when moving around
- Thursday P.E. (fitness focus) – running games and discussing the importance of keeping fit/staying healthy
- We have been enjoying the ‘bean game’ – as you child to teach you!
- Health and Wellbeing: we have been using our ‘feelings fans’ to discuss our feelings.
- We have continued to develop sharing skills through ‘Learn Through Play’ and how to communicate effectively with others
- Snack and Chat: we have been trying out having our snack and a chat in the classroom just before break – it’s been a success! We have enjoyed time together to chat and develop social skills as well have all our break time to play.
- Creativity: we have continued to enjoy having a creation station in the classroom this week. Children have been able to explore their creative side independently by selecting and using materials to make models. This week was have had feathers, pom-poms, cotton buds and lollypop sticks.
- We have also explored using different techniques to stick different materials together
- Fine Motor Skills: We have been using cotton buds and paint to spell out words and ‘tricky words’
- Circle Time – on a Friday we discuss our learning and share ideas of what we would like to learn next and what we would like to have in the classroom to support our learning
- Please continue help your child to dress/undress independently, this will help with changing for P.E
- It would be really helpful if all items of clothing could be labelled
- P1 Home Learning came home this week – please support us by cutting these out and practising recognising the letters/sounds on the flashcard
- We are still looking for materials for building, modelling and using at our creation station – recycling is welcome!
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.