P1/2 Learning Ladybirds Blog
Please remind your child to bring their book and reading record to school every day and continue to use your ‘Reading Rocket’ to support reading at home. Please do not be worried if your child moves/changes reading groups – reading groups are fluid and your child may move in order to support their individual learning needs. All P1s are now in a reading group – this will be sent home after the October break – Monday 28th Oct.
- We have continued practising letter formation
- Exploring the single sounds of the alphabet (s,a,t,p,i,n,r,m,e,h,d,o,g,f)
- P1: We have introduced some tricky words: I, the, to – these are words that cannot be sounded out
- Learning the ‘Jolly Phonics’ songs and actions linked to each sound – ask your child to teach you!
- Recognising the beginning sound of a word
- P2 have been Exploring digraph sounds oa and ow and revising digraph sounds we covered in P1
- P2 have also been practising how to use these sounds in their writing
- P2 have been revising all Block 1 tricky words: I, the, to, he, me, saw, is, his, put, was, want, no.
- Tricky Word game: http://www.ictgames.com/littleBirdSpelling/
- Phonics game: http://www.ictgames.com/littleBirdSpelling/
- Blending single sounds we know to read/write words
- Word building using sounds we have explored
- We have been writing letters to the Friendly Dragon – exploring the features of a letter.
- Exploring numbers to 20 and beyond
- Working with ‘Learning Partners’ to explore numbers and test each other on ‘Number Bonds’
- We have been exploring number bonds to 10 – 2 numbers that make 10.
- We have also explored number bonds to 20.
- Playing card games with Miss McGhee – ask your children to teach you the game at home! We played ‘Pairs’ but the to cards had to make 10 to be a match!
- Recognising numbers, dot patterns and tally marks
- P1/2 number facts to 10 – you can play this game at home – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/number-facts/number-fact-families
- P1 have been adding and subtracting numbers this week
- P2 have had the added challenge of using a timer to see how quickly the can add/subtract or re-call number bonds.
- Wednesday P.E. (skills focus) – Balance
- This week we explored balance using different parts of our body
- We talked about things that make balancing difficult and how the weight of our body moves as we move
- Thursday P.E. (fitness focus) – running games and discussing the importance of keeping fit/staying healthy
- Health and Wellbeing: We have had a focus on ‘Big Deal/Little Deal’ this week to support building resilience
- Friendships – we have continued to explore making new friends within the class
- We have continued to develop sharing skills through ‘Learn Through Play’ and how to communicate effectively with others
- Snack and Chat: children are still enjoying social tie together during snack and a chat in the classroom just before break – it’s been a success! We are enjoying time together to chat and develop social skills as well have all our break time to play.
- Music – on a Wednesday afternoon P1s and P2s come together for singing. Children are enjoying developing different skills during singing as well as leaning new songs!
- Music – This week our student teacher played guitar while we sang…..and he even gave some us a turn on the instruments!
- Music – we also have a singing specialist coming in on a Friday morning. This is our 5th and final week
- Fine Motor Skills: We have continued to focus on scissor skills to develop hand strength and promote pencil control
- Circle Time – on a Friday we discuss our learning and share ideas of what we would like to learn next and what we would like to have in the classroom to support our learning
- The Area – we have protected time in the area outside our classroom every Wednesday between break and lunch. We explore lots of different skills through block play, the home corner, role play, painting, junk modelling, sand, water and crafts…..this is also a great time to develop our sharing skills further
- Please continue help your child to dress/undress independently, this will help with changing for P.E
- It would be really helpful if all items of clothing could be labelled
- Water Bottles – a polite reminder that we encourage children to bring water to school.
- P1 Home Learning – This week the only sound being sent home is m – This was missed out on another sheet. By sending just this sound home it keeps us in line with the other P1s.
- P2 Home Learning– if you would like to support your child at home please use the link(s) in this blog
- We politely ask you to encourage your child to keep toys and trading cards at home – we have lots of resources at school to keep your child busy learning
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Enjoy the October Break – Holiday ‘Home Learning’……..Have lots of fun!