P1/2 Learning Ladybirds Blog
Welcome Back – we hope you have had a lovely and relaxing break. We are ready to continue with some super learning – working hard and developing new skills to support our learning!
Please remind your child to bring their book and reading record to school every day. Please do not be worried if your child moves/changes reading groups – reading groups are fluid and your child may move in order to support their individual learning needs. All P1s are now in a reading group – this will be sent home after the October break – Monday 28th Oct. P1 will receive a ‘Reading Caterpillar’ to support reading at home. Please remember reading the words is only one skill needed to develop strong reading skills. We also focus on interpretation, prediction, comprehension and reading fluency.
- We have continued practising letter formation
- This week we have revised the single sounds of the alphabet we have learned so far (s,a,t,p,i,n,r,m,e,h,d,o,g,f,m)
- Revising the ‘Jolly Phonics’ songs and actions linked to each sound – ask your child to teach you!
- P1: We have revised the tricky words: I, the, to – these are words that cannot be sounded out
- P2 have been revising the digraph sounds (two letters making one sound) we have covered so far
- P2 have also been practising how to use these sounds in their writing
- P2 have been revising all Block 1 tricky words
- P2 have also continued to explore Block 2 tricky words- PowerPoint attached – please remember to change the order of the slides to keep your children on their toes!
- Tricky Word game: http://www.ictgames.com/littleBirdSpelling/
- Phonics game: http://www.ictgames.com/littleBirdSpelling/
- Blending single sounds we know to read/write words
- Word building using sounds we have explored
- We have been writing letters to the Friendly Dragon – exploring the features of a letter.
- Writing: this week we have moved on to focus on building sentences – support and challenge has been provided across P1 and P2 levels
- P1 writing focus – giving writing a go, remembering we go from left to right. We have looked at sentence structure remembering capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. All learners are individual and at different stages of writing – please encourage your child and always focus on praising your child for giving it a go!
- P2 writing focus – We have revised sentence structure remembering capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. For extended writing we have been exploring using connectives in our writing (and, but, then, next). This helps us to make our sentences more detailed – giving us the tools needed to write stories!
- This week we have revised number bonds to 10 – 2 numbers that make 10.
- We have also explored number bonds to 20.
- Playing card games with Miss McGhee – ask your children to teach you the game at home! We played ‘Pairs’ but the cards had to make 10 to be a match!
- Recognising numbers, dot patterns and tally marks
- P1/2 number facts to 10 – you can play this game at home – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/number-facts/number-fact-families
- P1 have been adding and subtracting numbers this week
- We are continuing with the challenge of using a timer to see how quickly we can add/subtract or re-call number bonds.
- Wednesday P.E. (skills focus) – Balance
- This week we explored balance using different parts of our body
- We talked about things that make balancing difficult and how the weight of our body moves as we move
- Thursday P.E. (fitness focus) – running games and discussing the importance of keeping fit/staying healthy
- Health and Wellbeing: we continue to use ‘Big Deal/Little Deal’ this week to support building resilience
- Friendships – we have continued to explore making new friends in the classroom and out in the playground
- We have continued to develop sharing skills through ‘Learn Through Play’ and how to communicate effectively with others
- Snack and Chat: children are still enjoying social tie together during snack and a chat in the classroom just before break – it’s been a success! We are enjoying time together to chat and develop social skills as well have all our break time to play.
- Music – on a Wednesday afternoon P1s and P2s come together for singing. Children are enjoying developing different skills during singing as well as leaning new songs!
- Music – This week our student teacher played guitar while we sang and he even gave some us a turn on the instruments!
- Fine Motor Skills: We have continued to focus building hand strength to promote pencil control
- Circle Time – on a Friday we discuss our learning and share ideas of what we would like to learn next and what we would like to have in the classroom to support our learning
- The Area – we have protected time in the area outside our classroom every week. We explore lots of different skills through block play, the home corner, role play, painting, junk modelling, sand, water and crafts…..this is also a great time to develop our sharing skills further
- Please continue help your child to dress/undress independently, this will help with changing for P.E
- It would be really helpful if all items of clothing could be labelled
- Water Bottles – a polite reminder that we encourage children to bring water to school.
- P1 Home Learning – This week there will be no blue home learning sheet as we have had a revision week – if you would like to support your child at home please use the link(s) in this blog
- Tricky Word Block 2 PP
- P2 Home Learning– if you would like to support your child at home please use the link(s) in this blog
- We politely ask you to encourage your child to keep toys and trading cards at home – we have lots of resources at school to keep your child busy learning
- Uniform – can you please check at home to see if your child has picked up uniform that belongs to another child and return it to school – Thank you!
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.