Welcome back! We hope you all had a lovely October break. We have had a busy few days getting back into the school routine and all children have settled in well.
This week we have been learning:
- Learning the single sounds of the alphabet. We reviewed a.ll the sounds previously learned
- This week we have focused on g.
- We have all enjoyed watching Geraldine the Giraffe to help us learn our sounds – we find Geraldine really funny. You can find these clips on Youtube. We have also used the actions and songs from jolly phonics.
- Blending single sounds we know to help us read/write words.
Home learning ideas
- Your child has the new blue home learning sheet with the g sound. Please practice this and previous sounds and make new words, ask your child to make words too.
- Remember to read with your child and discuss the book.
- Encourage your child to look for the sounds he/she knows in packaging around the house.
- Play I spy with my little eye.
- One of the children told us that he played a fun game with his mum: mum hides the card sounds and he has to find them and tell mum which sound he has found. The child loved it and I did too! Please share your ideas with us!
Numeracy and Maths
- Counting forwards and backwards from different starting points.
- We focused on addition of numbers up to 10 this week. We have continue to work on number bonds to 10 (children know that “two parts make a whole”).
- We have been learning to recognise the mathematical signs for addition such as the plus/add and equals signs and have been encouraging the use of this language during our matching learning activities.
- We had a special focus on number formation (0 to 10). Please continue to reinforce this at home.
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
Home learning ideas
- Practice number bonds to 10 using your fingers (or gloves!): give your child a number they have to show it to you with their fingers and guess how many other fingers they need to make ten.
- As we mentioned we have use the word add and equal as well as the mathematical symbols for it. Ask your child about it: e,g two apples add three apples equals…
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button ( addition within 10)
- P.E. Friday P.E. (fitness focus) – running games and discussing the importance of keeping fit/staying healthy.
- Music: We have continued our music session on Wednesday with all P1s, we loved singing with Mr Morrison (P1/2 student) as he plays the guitar for us.
- Building Resilience: We are using the words ‘Big deal’/’Little deal’when an incident happens in the class to help us to resolve conflicts and to realise if it is something important or not. The children are great at talking about this.
- Outdoor learning: Before going outside we read the story of ‘The leaf man’ and we created our own art work using leaves and other items from the playground. The children loved it. Look at their creations!
- Other Information
- Home learning went home today with our new sound. Please continue to work on learning the sounds with your children. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day.
- Please label all items we already have spare socks and shorts as lost property in the class.
- We are starting to introduce woodwork into our play area and we would be grateful if anyone would be able to donate some off cuttings of pine wood into school for us to use at this station.
- Friday 1st November: Drop in Session for parents 9.05am – 9.35am for Nursery – P2 and 8.55am – 9.25am for P3-P7
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Have a lovely weekend!
Mrs de Bonrostro