We have had a busy week this week in Primary 1B.
We have been learning:
- Single sounds of the alphabet: this week we have focused on l and c.
- Tricky words: he, me and is.
- We have all enjoyed watching Geraldine the Giraffe to help us learn our sounds – we find Geraldine really funny. You can find these clips on Youtube.
- To blend single sounds we know to help us read/write words. We enjoyed doing this with 3 letter words during story time.
- This week during our writing, we drew a picture of our favourite character from our reading book and wrote about why we liked them the best. We talked about using capital letters at the beginning of the sentence, fingers spaces between words and full stops.
- We took our second reading book home. We always read the book in class before it goes home therefore your child will be familiar with the words. This does not mean that they can actually read the book.
Home learning ideas:
- Reading: work on the new sounds and tricky words provided on the blue cards. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day.
- Reading book: read the book with your child. Use your reading caterpillars to work on comprehension and higher order thinking skills. Copy the words from the book and ask your child to make sentences with them.
- Read to your child books everyday and enjoy them.
Numeracy and Maths
- We have continued to learn to recognise the mathematical signs for addition such as the plus/add and equals signs and have been encouraging the use of this language during our matching learning activities.
- We have worked on addition within 10 (20 for some).
- This week we used number lines to 10 to help us add two numbers together. We used our ipads for the first time this week to help us with this activity.
- We have continued to work on number bonds to ten.
- Over the last couple of weeks, Mrs Conlin has been focusing on symmetry with the class.
Home learning ideas:
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
- We have been using this game to help us with addition: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/mental-maths-train
Wednesday (throwing and catching skills).
Friday (fitness focus)
- Home learning went home yesterday with our new sounds. Please continue to work on learning the sounds with your children. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day
- This Tuesday our new reading books went home in our purple folder. Please remember to bring it back to school every day so we can work in our reading. If a child does not bring the book on Tuesday another book will not be handed until the previous one has been returned.
- We are starting to introduce woodwork into our play area and we would be grateful if anyone would be able to donate some off cuttings of pine wood into school for us to use at this station.
- As Christmas is fast approaching, we are starting to collect items for our P1 hamper we are creating as a raffle prize for the Parent Council. The P1 hamper is going to have a Christmas theme so any donations relating to Christmas which could be added to our classes hamper would be greatly appreciated.
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Miss Hutcheon and Mrs Conlin