We have had a really busy week this week in Primary 1B.
We have been learning:
- Single sounds of the alphabet: this week we have focused on k, ck and j.
- Tricky words: is and his.
- We have all enjoyed watching Geraldine the Giraffe to help us learn our sounds – we find Geraldine really funny. You can find these clips on YouTube.
- At writing we have focused on writing sentences using capital letter to start the sentence, finger spaces and full stops at the end of the sentences. Our focus this week was to write all about ourselves and the words we used for this were: I, am, have, name, like and to. We are writing short sentences.
- As a follow up from our writing, we had the choice to make silly sentences using one of our puzzle games. We had to remember to use a capital letter at the start of the sentence and a full stop at the end. We really enjoyed this!
- We have worked really hard on our reading book and are getting really good at predicting what is going to happen next.
Home learning ideas:
- Reading: work on the new sounds and tricky words provided on the blue cards. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day. Please ensure you continue to do that as this is vital for your child’s reading progress.
- Reading book: read the book with your child. Use your reading caterpillars to work on comprehension and higher order thinking skills, copy the words from the book and ask your child to make sentences with them.
- Read to your child books everyday and enjoy them.
- This week we have played this game and the children are really enjoying it: http://www.literactive.com/Download/live.asp?swf=story_files/hanging_monkeys_US.swf
- If your child is enjoying writing please don’t stop them to correct the letter formation as this will stop the flow and could put him/her off from writing (letters, stories, cards, etc). After he/she has finished you can remind them the formation if you wish.
Numeracy and Maths
- This week we finished working on symmetry. We worked really hard on this – myself and Mrs Conlin are really proud of you all.
- We have continued to work on addition using number lines, ten frames, counting items, etc. We are getting really confident using the mathematical language for this area of our numeracy.
Home learning ideas:
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
- We have been using this game to help us with addition:
- This week in class we enjoyed playing with dominos, adding both numbers on the domino together to find out how many spots were there all together.
- You can practice addition by: rolling two dice and adding the result, playing snakes and ladders and ask your child to guess where they have to go or simply just by using your fingers to add numbers together.
- Assembly: This week we learned about Remembrance Day.
- HWB: Our focus is ‘Be kind to others’. We discussed what bullying is and also talked about the qualities we would look for in a friend. We are continuing to fill each other’s buckets every day! We also discussed the importance of drinking enough water throughout the day.
- French: This week we started to learn numbers 1-10 in French. We will continue to work on this next week!
- Wednesday (throwing and catching skills).
- Friday (fitness focus)
- Home learning went home yesterday with our new sounds. Please continue to work on learning the sounds with your children. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day
- On Tuesday our new reading books go home in our purple folder. Please remember to bring it back to school every day so we can work in our reading. If a child does not bring the book on Monday another book will not be handed until the previous one has been returned.
- As Christmas is fast approaching, we are starting to collect items for our P1 hamper we are creating as a raffle prize for the Christmas Fair. The P1 hamper is going to have a Christmas theme so any donations relating to Christmas which could be added to our classes hamper would be greatly appreciated.
- I have had a couple of people ask about the P1 Nativity times. Unfortunately we are unsure of exact timings at the moment, however, one performance will be in the morning and one will be in the afternoon.
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Have a lovely weekend!
Miss Hutcheon and Mrs Conlin