P1/2 Learning Ladybirds Blog
Please remind your child to bring their book and reading record to school every day. Please do not be worried if your child moves/changes reading groups – reading groups are fluid and your child may move in order to support their individual learning needs.
- P1 – This week we have been learning the sounds v and w and the ‘tricky words’ put and was
- P1 – have also been practising how to use these sounds in reading and writing.
- P2 have been revising the digraph sounds aw and au
- P2 have also been practising how to use these sounds in their writing and reading
- All – we have continued with a focus on rhyming this week. We have been reading lots of rhyming stories and listing rhyming words to spot the pattern
- Tricky Word Power Points – please remember to change the order of the slides to keep your children on their toes!
- Tricky Words – block one and two Power Points have already been shared…..Block three is attached to this post. Please remember these words cannot be sounded out
- Reading – we enjoyed sharing three new stories this week and voting for our favourite. This was our favourite in P1/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SshMpe0Kn8
- Writing: this week we have continued to focus on building sentences – support and challenge has been provided across P1 and P2 levels
- Writing – this week we focussed on another imaginative piece of writing – we described ‘Fairyland’
- P1 Writing Star Steps – capital letters, finger spaces and full stops
- P1 Writing Star Steps – capital letters, finger spaces full stops, connectives and ‘wow’ words.
- Writing All – on a Friday morning we use our ‘Dictation’ jotters to practise our spelling
- P1 Dictation – CVC words (consonant, vowel, consonant)
- P2 Dictation – words with digraph sounds (sh, wh, th, ch, oo)
- This week we have had a focus on mental maths and understanding number. We have been counting numbers using sounds and movement
- We have also enjoyed using a raffle ticket game to explore larger numbers
- All – there are open ended task to provide self-challenge for the learners
- Maths – this week we have continued to explore symmetry
- Symmetry games you can at home:
- Tuesday P.E. (games and fitness) – running games and discussing the importance of keeping fit/staying healthy
- Wednesday P.E. (skills focus) – Balance. This week we explored balance using different parts of our body and tried some yoga!
- Music P1 – We have started practising for our Nativity!
- Music P2 – We have started practising for our Christmas Carol performances!
- The Area – we have protected time in the area outside our classroom every week. We explore lots of different skills through block play, the home corner, role play, painting, junk modelling, sand, water and crafts…..this is also a great time to develop our sharing skills further
- The Area – children can also self-select to be in the area in the afternoon – an adult from nursery is there to support their learning
- Dot – to – Dot – we have been playing Dot – to – Dot with Miss McGhee and our Learning Partners. This is a great game to develop many skills including; fine motor skills, pencil control, pencil grip, problem solving, strategy, sharing, turn taking, letter formation and counting
- French – This week we were practising counting in French and saying the days of the week
- P1 Home Learning – is back to normal this week with the blue sounds/tricky words sheet – thank you for your continued support with this at home
- P2 Home Learning– if you would like to support your child at home please use the link(s) in this blog
- We politely ask you to encourage your child to keep toys and trading cards at home – we have lots of resources at school to keep your child busy learning
- Uniform – can you please check at home to see if your child has picked up uniform that belongs to another child and return it to school – Thank you!
- Kindergarten – P2 had a great time this week and enjoyed sharing their learning when they returned to class
Primary 1 have been asked to coordinate the collection of items for a hamper for the Christmas Fair. We have been given the theme of ‘Christmas’ for our collection.
We would be grateful for any donations of small items with which to fill the hamper.
There are no rules, but some suggested items might include
- Scarves/hats/socks etc
- Small gifts
- Christmas stationery items
- Christmas crafts
- Edible treats
Items can be delivered to the P1 classrooms any day from Monday 25th November.
Parent Helpers – thank you very much for all your help and support in the classroom – it’s very appreciated! If you would like to come in to help, please catch me at the door and we can arrange a time. The P1/2 team are looking for parents to help re-vamp our reading book system/organisation……it would be great if we could get a small team together to support us with this.
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.