What an enjoyable and busy week we had in Primary 1D!
We have been learning:
- Single sounds of the alphabet: this week we have focused on v and w.
- Tricky words: put and was.
- We have all enjoyed watching Geraldine the Giraffe to help us learn our sounds – we find Geraldine really funny. You can find these clips on Youtube.
- At writing we have focused on writing sentences using capital letter to start the sentence, finger spaces and full stops at the end of the sentences. Our focus this week was to write about the things we like and the words we used for this were: I, like and to. We are writing short sentences. It is amazing to see how much we are progressing and how hard we are working.
- We are working very hard in our handwriting. Every morning while everybody gets ready we do a ‘soft start’ getting our clipboards and working on our handwriting letter of the day (sometimes is one letter over two days).
- We are doing dictation every week. We are getting better at this!
Home learning ideas:
- Reading: work on the new sounds and tricky words provided on the blue cards. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day. Please ensure you continue to do that as this is vital for your child’s reading progress.
- Reading book: read the book with your child. Use your reading caterpillars to work on comprehension and higher order thinking skills, copy the words from the book and ask your child to make sentences with them.
- Read to your child books everyday and enjoy them.
- If your child is enjoying writing please don’t stop them to correct the letter formation as this will stop the flow and could put him/her off from writing (letters, stories, cards, etc). After he/she has finished you can remind them the formation if you wish.
Numeracy and Maths
- This week we have finished our work on symmetry.
- We have started to learn subtraction skills. We had a great time with our new game: we had post it notes with subtractions and we had to place it in the right number.
Home learning ideas:
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
- You can use this game to work with subtration:
- We use number lines for addition and subtraction: why don’t you make your own number line? Write, draw or cut out numbers from magazines.
- We have been learning that when doing subtraction the biggest number (minuend) goes first and the smallest (subtrahend) after. To work on this concept you could choose one domino piece, sort the remaining domino pieces into groups depending on whether they are less than, the same as or more than the first domino. Make some subtraction using the domino pieces.
- What Comes Before? In the range 1-20 (30 if you feel your child can do it) ask what comes after e.g. “What is the number before 20?”
- HWB: Our focus is ‘Be kind to others’. We are continuing to fill each other’s buckets!
- P. E. Tuesday (throwing and catching skills). Friday (fitness focus)
- We have started to practice the songs for our Nativity play!
- Home learning went home yesterday with our new sounds. Please continue to work on learning the sounds with your children. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day
- On Mondays our new reading books go home in our purple folder. Please remember to bring it back to school every day so we can work in our reading. If a child does not bring the book on Monday another book will not be handed until the previous one has been returned.
- As Christmas is fast approaching, we are starting to collect items for our P1 hamper we are creating as a raffle prize for the Parent Council. The P1 hamper is going to have a Christmas theme so any donations relating to Christmas which could be added to our classes hamper would be greatly appreciated.
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs de Bonrostro