We have had a busy week this week in Primary 1 and we are all getting really excited for Christmas. We had a visit in class from an elf from the North Pole.. he hid in Mrs De Bonrostro’s cupboard and also tried to eat our advent calendar chocolate!
We have been learning:
- Single sounds of the alphabet: this week we have focused on qu, x, y and z.
- Tricky words: want and saw.
- We have all enjoyed watching Geraldine the Giraffe to help us learn our sounds – we find Geraldine really funny. You can find these clips on Youtube.
- We have worked really hard on our reading book and are getting really good at predicting what is going to happen next.
Home learning ideas:
- Reading: work on the new sounds and tricky words provided on the blue cards. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day. Please ensure you continue to do that as this is vital for your child’s reading progress.
- Reading book: read the book with your child. Use your reading caterpillars to work on comprehension and higher order thinking skills, copy the words from the book and ask your child to make sentences with them.
- Read to your child books everyday and enjoy them.
- If your child is enjoying writing please don’t stop them to correct the letter formation as this will stop the flow and could put him/her off from writing (letters, stories, cards, etc). After he/she has finished you can remind them the formation if you wish.
Numeracy and Maths
- We have continued to work on subtraction this week using number lines, ten frames and our fingers to help us with our number problems. We are getting really confident using the mathematical language for this area of our numeracy.
Home learning ideas:
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
- We have been using this game to help us with subtraction:
Expressive arts: We have been practising our Nativity lots this week and we have all been working so hard to learn our lines. We had a dress rehearsal today and our performance was filmed. We are really looking forward to seeing you all next Tuesday and Wednesday for the real thing!
We are so proud of you for all of your hard work.
- Home learning went home today with our new sounds. Please continue to work on learning the sounds with your children. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day
- The reading book that we have sent home this week will be the last one before the Christmas holidays. Your child will not be getting a new book next week.
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend!
The P1 Team