We have had a busy week this week in Primary 1B and we are all getting really excited for Christmas.
We have been learning:
- Single sounds of the alphabet: this week we revised our initial sounds as we have now covered the full alphabet.
- Tricky words: We revised our tricky words, we now know all of the words that have been sent home on the home learning sheets.
- We have not done any reading in class this week and I will be collecting in the reading books over the next week. We will send new books home the first full week back.
- We have been using our knowledge of our initial sounds and tricky words to write letters to Santa which we posted in our very own post box which was made by some of the children. I will send the letters to the North Pole today. I wonder if he will reply to the class!
Home learning ideas:
- Reading: work on the new sounds and tricky words provided on the blue cards. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day. Please ensure you continue to do that as this is vital for your child’s reading progress.
- If your child is enjoying writing please don’t stop them to correct the letter formation as this will stop the flow and could put him/her off from writing (letters, stories, cards, etc). After he/she has finished you can remind them the formation if you wish.
Numeracy and Maths
- We have continued to work on subtraction this week using number lines, ten frames and our fingers to help us with our number problems. We are getting really confident using the mathematical language for this area of our numeracy. We did this through play activities.
- We looked at and discussed 3D shapes again, talking about their names while giving a description of them. We answered questions about whether they can be rolled, how many edges they have and what shapes their faces are. We really enjoyed playing the ‘I Spy’ game, where we looked for the 3D shapes in Santa’s workshop. We were really good at this!
Home learning ideas:
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
- Please discuss 3D shapes with your child. The Christmas period is a great time to do this as a lot of presents will the same shapes as the ones we have been discussing. You can also look around the house for 3D shapes.
Expressive arts: This week we performed our nativity to the older children in the school as well as to all of you. Thank you all for coming to watch us. The children worked really hard to learn their lines and parts and we are so proud of you for all of your hard work. You were all amazing!
We have also been very creative in class this week, making Christmas cards and pictures – we will send these home over the next week.
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
- Next week I will be sending home P.E kits, indoor shoes and everything from the children’s trays.
- E-journals were posted last Friday where you can find comments regarding your child’s progress so far in P1. Please feel free to leave a comment for your child about their fantastic learning.
Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend and I look forward to seeing you all next week for the final week of term before Christmas!
Miss Hutcheon and Mrs Conlin