Good morning to all of my primary 1’s and also to all of your parents. I hope you are all well and staying safe.
Hopefully you all managed to have a look at some of the tasks I provided for you yesterday and I loved seeing some pictures of your work. Please don’t feel under pressure to complete them all at once. Take your time and go at your own pace. Again, please feel free to post photos of your learning at home on your e-learning journals and let me know if you are happy for me to share your work on the Friday bog post. Alternatively, you could send your photos to the school account firstname.lastname@example.org . It will be a lovely way for us to stay connected throughout our learning together at home journey.
I will be giving you guidance on what activities to complete each day from the pack provided. I will be giving general ideas for literacy and numeracy – these can be completed throughout the week. I will also be providing you with focused activities. These activities should be spread over a 24 hour period. I will be updating the blog at 12 noon Monday-Friday.
For your learning together at home today please can you have a look over the following.
Literacy – General ideas
· Revise single sounds of the alphabet (Jolly Phonics songs are available on YouTube)
· Revise the Digraph sounds we have covered so far – refer to ‘Home Packs’ for the list
· CVC game: Continue to work on sounding out and blending to read words. Use your knowledge of the initial sounds, blend the sounds together and click on the picture that matches the word. *please remember to turn the sound off on your computer to ensure you are sounding out the words independently.
Challenge game: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/BurriedTreasure2.html
- Using the ow and oa words you discussed and wrote down with your grown ups yesterday, can you write them again 4 times each using a different colour each time (rainbow words). Remember the oa sound goes in the middle of words and the ow goes at the end of words.
- Underneath each ow or oa words, please draw a picture of the word – for example, if you wrote boat as one of your words, please draw a picture of your boat underneath your rainbow words.
- Tricky words: one and you. Please practice reading and writing these cards.
In each of your home packs you will have four reading books. Please take your time with these, focusing on sounding out the words, blending them together, looking at the pictures and using them to predict what will happen throughout or next in the story.
I have listed the books I would like you to read. I understand that you will all have different books but please look on the list for your child’s book. Please only read the first half of the book and I will give you further guidance in the coming days on the next steps for each of you.
Biff’s Fun Phonics
The Lost Puppy
Fish and Chips
Numeracy – General ideas
-Work on addition and subtraction skills
- Calculation practice 1 – roll 2 dice and add them together, what is the total?
- Calculation practice 2 – roll 2 dice and take one away from the other, what is the total? Remember when you are subtracting the big number always comes first in the calculation
- Calculation practice 3 (challenge) – roll 2 dice and add them together, what is the total? keep that total then roll 1 dice add that number to the total – how many times can you keep on adding to the total………..
- Work on number bonds (10, 20 0r 100) – differentiated worksheets are in the ‘Home Pack’
- These games will help you to practise number bonds to 10 and 20:
Work on numbers before and after – use this link to count one more/one less and 10 more/10 less, https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/paint-the-squares
- Will be continuing to look at time throughout this week. Please discuss with your grown up at home what you would do during different times of the day, discussing key language such as ‘morning, afternoon, evening and night’. For example: I wake up in the morning OR I have my dinner in the evening.
- Can you draw a clock? Remember to add all of the numbers that go around the clock, the minute hand and the hour hand. Can you set it to 1 o’clock ?
- Please look at the ‘I can write’ worksheet provided in the ‘home packs’. I would like you to focus on your number formation of the number 1.
As some of you will be aware, Joe Wicks is providing live exercise videos for children each day at 9am. He is doing this through his YouTube channel. I will be joining in at 9am tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it. It looks like really good fun. Enjoy!
Below are some P1 websites which are level appropriate for all of our class. You can find work/games at a variety of different levels so that you can challenge yourself each day.
1. Education City – Access Classwork and Homework section https://www.educationcity.com/
2. ABCYa! https://www.abcya.com/
3. Crick Web http://www.crickweb.co.uk/
4. Topmarks https://www.topmarks.co.uk/
5. ICT Games http://www.ictgames.com/
6. Mouse Club https://www.themouseclub.co.uk/games-activities
7. CBeebies Stories https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/stories?page=2
8. Early Level BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zf7hgwx
9. Oxford Owl – activities for all ages https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for- home/advice-for-parents/fun-ideas-learning-at-home/
10. Free e-books Library https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/reading-
Here is also a link to a news story about a nurse who had written a book about the coronavirus aimed at young children to allay any fears or anxiety.
I would like to take this chance to thank you all for the lovely cards and gifts I received on Friday. I was overwhelmed by your generosity and kind words. They made me smile a lot and I am so lucky to teach a class full of such kind, caring and thoughtful children. Thank you primary 1 and thank you to your parents too.
Again, I wish you all the best and if you have any questions or need any further support please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the school office.
Have a lovely day and stay safe.