This term we are learning about different religious foods and festivals from around the world. So far we have looked at the role food plays in the Christian celebration of Easter and the Islamic celebration of Ramadan. This week we are going to look at the Jewish celebration of Shabbat.
Before we begin, think about:
- What do you know already about Jewish traditions and celebrations?
- What do you know about Shabbat?
- How do you think food is important during Shabbat?
Learn some more about Shabbat:
Think about or discuss these questions with someone at home:
- Why is Shabbat important to Jews?
- How is Shabbat different to other days of the week?
- What is done to prepare for Shabbat?
- How does the Shabbat meal start?
- What is the challah? What role does it play in the Shabbat meal?
If you are interested in learning more about Shabbat and Judaism, you could look at:
Videos about Judaism: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zqbw2hv/resources/1
Follow up activity:
Sequence the events of a Shabbat meal (1 star)
Describe the events of a Shabbat meal (2 stars)
Identify the importance of a Shabbat meal (3 stars)