Hello Magic Monkeys and Happy Friday!
In literacy we have covered:
- Single sounds of the alphabet
- Tricky words (block 1 – 5)
- Sounding out/blending/spelling words (CVC, CVCC, CCVC)
- oi – coin, boil, soil, oil, foil
- oy – toy, joy, boy, enjoy, annoy
- Dictation – oi/oy words
- Writing: ‘Fireworks’
- Writing Star Steps: use capital letters, finger spaces and full stops, using a connective word and writing 2 or more sentences
- Letter formation – cursive and non-cursive
- Reading Groups
- We are doing a whole school focus on spelling – this week our sounds for spelling were oi and oy.
- The words we focused on are: coin, boil, oil, soil, toilet, toy, boy, joy, annoy, Troy
- A Spelling Wall has been added to the Buckstone website – this can be found under Home Learning and then on the level page
- Please use this to support you at home if you wish to do a little extra
- Thanks for all your help and support!
In Maths/Numeracy we have covered:
- Addition to 30 and beyond
- Number bonds to 10
- Number bonds to 20
- Chilli Challenge addition – today we marked our own jotters!
- Time – o’clock, half past, quarter past, quarter to times
- Analogue and digital clocks
- Digital clocks – 12 hour
- Days of the week
- We also explored ‘yesterday’ and ‘tomorrow’ concepts
- Number formation
We are enjoying the class novel – we are already on Chapter 4!
- Reading groups
- Predicting the story
- Recalling the story
- Reading out loud
- Silent reading – BEAR Time
- Independent reading with Miss McGhee
- Fitness – exercise video in class
- Theory – writing about the skills we develop in P.E
- Joe Wicks fitness
- Monday – weekend whiteboard
- Tuesday – word building
- Wednesday – Tricky Words
- Thursday – drawing
- Friday – dance and movement
Learn Through Play Activities:
- Marble Run
- Block Play
- Magnetic building blocks
- Role Play – the new “shop” is a big hit this week!
- Arts and Crafts table
- iPads (literacy and numeracy)
- smartboard games
- Train tracks
What I would like to learn next…..
“about volcanoes” – Eliza
“about the sea” – Max
“about the Titanic” – Carl
“I would like to learn about the jungle” – Zoe
“I would like to learn about nature” – Ella
“I would like to learn about people in the past” – Eesha
“I want to learn about cars” – Lewis
“Higher numbers in Maths” – Louise
“I would learn about the war” – Scarlett
“I would like to learn about timetables” – Megan
- This week we used objects from nature to make addition calculations
- We worked in groups to develop teamwork and communication skills as well as practise numeracy skills
- I have added tricky word PowerPoints (blocks 1-5). If you could practise these at home it would support our learning in class – thank you.
- Practise reading and writing them
- This week we enjoyed painting Poppies on stones for Remembrance Day – these will be delivered to the church on Friday
- We also independently designed a Christmas card this week, children where encouraged to do what they thought showed a Christmas theme
- We have some unclaimed/unlabelled uniform (and one welly boot!?) in the classroom – please let me know if you are looking for any items.
Enjoy the weekend, have fun and stay safe,