We hope you are all well.
Another busy week at P1 CD!
It was fantastic to meet all parents online (or over the phone when technology played up).
This is our learning this week:
Our core numeracy skills this week included,
- numeral identification to 10 .
- establishing a collection of a given amount.
- counting and creating auditory patterns.
- Finger patterns.
- Doubles to ten.
- Counting forwards and backwards from a given number.
- Say number before and after a given number.
Our challenge activities in numeracy were
- describing equal groups.
- numeral identification to 30.
- counting two collections with the first screened ( counting on strategy).
This week our initial letter sounds were e and h.
E is for eggs, Elmer the Elephant. H is for hats, herbs, helicopters, hay, horses and hedgehogs!
We have used the sounds we know to build and blend some words: e.g. pen, pet, net, hat, hit, etc.
Today your child will bring home the next sheet with the sound cards for you to cut out and use at home to practise recognition of the letters and, alongside the sounds sent home last week, blend and spell CVC ( Consonant, Vowel Consonant ) words.
We are developing our motor skills to help us with handwriting. Our pre-writing pattern this week was ‘c’ as you would find in the formation of letters such as c and d.
The title of our stories was: My hair was blowing when … We are working on creating detail to our pictures and to tell a story.
We have continued to work on ball skills, following instructions and being part of a team.
We have been learning about autism.
We watched this video and had a discussion about how things might be different for a child with autism.
We also watched the P7M assembly about dyslexia.
We have great discussions about: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
We have made our number lines and found the number of items for each number on the number line.
We had a fantastic morning playing outside
Home learning ideas
- Please continue to use the blue card letters for recognition and to make CVC words with the sounds that we have worked on so far: s, a, t, p, i, n, m, r, e, h.
- Play I spy with my little eye things that start with the sound…
- Say three words and your child has to guess what is the initial sound of the three words and say another one starting with the same sound. E, g say ant, arm, anchor and they could say apple.
- Encourage your child to make their name in different ways: in the sand, with flour, play dough, etc.
- Please encourage your child to use a tripod grasp when holding the pencil.
- This is an online game at school: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/phonics/balloon-phonics-cvc-game
- Practice number formation numbers 0 to 10: you don’t need to use a pencil, you can use flour, water and a paint brush, make the number with chalk and your child can trace it over with a car, etc.
- If you go on a walk you could collect leaves, flat them and bring them to school we will use them to create art work after the October break.
- Remember that the October holidays start on Monday 18th October. Children are back to school on Tuesday 26th October.
- Christmas cards deadline is on Tuesday 12th October. Please if you decide to send work ensure that you have filled in the consent forms that were handed at the beginning of the year from the office.
- If would be a good idea to discuss your child’s menu choices at home as some children don’t like what it has been order for them and they are refusing to eat their lunch. Thank you for your support!
- On Thursday 14th October we are planning to go to the woods please ensure your child has appropriate clothing for this.
- On Friday 15th October: Show Racism the Red Card (children can wear red for this – optional)
We hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs Cross and Mrs de Bonrostro