- Sound of the week: ea
- Dictation: tea, sea, leaf, mean, dream, cream
- Hold the sentence: I have a cup of tea by the sea.
- Tricky Words: revision of all
- Writing “Nurtured”
- Our writing ‘Star Steps’ for Term 1 are:
- Capital letters
- Finger spaces
- Full stops
- Sometimes learners will also receive an individual Star Step to support their learning
- Handwriting – cursive and pre-cursive writing practice. This includes drawing and colouring in to promote hand strength and pencil control. We have also been doing cutting activities to help strengthen hand muscles
- Handwriting – Cursive Letters and writing our name with capitals in the correct place
- Reading/Literacy activities in class
- BEAR Time: Be Excited About Reading (independent reading time)
- Spelling games to practice the long words in our books
- Completing a book review – this helps us to develop critical thinking skills
- We are also enjoying listening to and reading poetry.
- Continuing to explore Subtraction
- PACE subtraction challenge
- Continuing to explore Time: Seconds, Minutes and Hours
- Telling the time: o’clock and half past on analogue and digital clocks
- Exploring times of the day and why being able to tell the time is important
- We will continue to cover Days of the Week (yesterday/tomorrow) and Months of the Year with use of songs and reference to our class calendar – you could support your child by talking about days of the week:
- What day is it today?
- What day was it yesterday (the day before)?
- What day will it be tomorrow (the day after)?
Other Curricular Areas
- RSHP: General Friendship focus – recapping previous learning
- Health and Well-being: Diversity and Inclusion
- Health and Well-being: SHANARRI (recap)
- Health and Well-being: Firework Safety
- RME: Diwali and the story of Rama and Sita
- PE – Yoga and fitness – we now have access to the hall for PE once per week
- French: Months of the Year
Let’s talk learning!
- During Parents Consultations it was highlighted that sometimes it’s difficult to have conversations about the school day at home. In response to this we are going to provide some questions you can ask to prompt learning chats at home!
- Each week we give you a few conversation starters/questions linked to our learning from the week. This might support you to talk about your child’s learning and get more of an insight to their week. We hope this is helpful…..
- Can you tell me about Rama and Sita?
- Tell me some of the words that were on your SHANARRI Poster
- What was your sound of the week this week?
- What are the two different types of clocks?
- How do we stay safe on Bonfire/Fireworks night?
- PE in the hall was super fun on Thursday – we were very excited (and hyper)……..
- Poetry – P2M have continued to use Michael Rosen to enjoy poems and silly stories. Thank you to Orla for sharing her ‘Nonsense’ book with us!
- We have used this book to write our own nonsense story and next week we will create some illustrations to go with our class story – we will share this on our blog next week!
- This week we enjoyed P.E in the Hall for the first time! We practised ball skills : rolling balls.
- We have had lots of fun being creative this week with art and craft. We have made Diwali lanterns and some brilliant elephant artwork using our hand prints.
- Ladybirds have continued to enjoy listening to Michael Rosen poems and stories whilst having our milk.
Looking forward to next week
- We will be continuing to look at Time.
- Our writing will be about ‘Active’ – linking with our Health and Wellbeing.
- We will be adding ‘Hold the Sentence’ to our Wednesday morning dictation next week.
- Reading books will be sent home again from Monday. Please keep them at home and return on Thursday.
Extra Information/ polite reminders
- Home-learning: In Primary 2 we do not send home ‘homework’. If you would like to do a little extra at home, that’s great! Please feel free to use the information in the blog to revise Literacy or Numeracy. There is no pressure to do so or to hand anything back into class.
- Home-learning: if you are keen to do a little extra at home the areas you could support in are; reading, tricky words and dictation
- Please remember to keep reading books at home Mon to Wed – returning them to school on Thursday
- As the weather is getting cooler, please ensure your child comes to school in an appropriate coat.
- A little reminder that it is important to bring your children to school for their given time (P2M 8:45, P2L 8:55) so that we can begin our learning as soon as possible.
- E-Journals – P2 teachers don’t access e-journals. We are aware some people have kindly taken the time to share some learning from home. Unfortunately we can’t respond, but thank you for sharing!
We are here to help and support you, please feel free to send in any questions or concerns via office admin or if you are happy to catch us at the door at the beginning/end of the day.
Thanks for your continued help and support.
We hope you enjoy a lovely, weekend!
The P2 Team 😊