Hello and Happy Friday. We have had a lovely week full of lots of Christmassy events and surprises.
This week our focus sounds were x, w and qu. We continue to revise all the sounds taught so far. We focused on revising our previously learned tricky words. We continue to practice blending using the sounds we have covered so far.
We are continuing to develop our fine motor skills to help us with handwriting. We do this through lots of activities in the classroom as well as our funky fingers sessions. Our handwriting this week focused on correctly forming the j letter and numeral formation.
Our writing prompt this week was “My letter to Santa.” We are focusing on developing our story telling skills by discussing all our ideas as a class, then using drawing to create a detailed picture which clearly tells a story, and finally retelling our story for an adult to ‘scribe’ for us. Many of us have been “having a go” at writing and mark making all by ourselves. As a challenge some of us have been learning how to write sentences using capital letters, full stops and finger spaces.
This week we started a new Maths topic – Data Handling. We worked on asking questions and creating surveys to collect data. Some great ideas such as favourite colours , pets and foods. We then explored how we could display this information, learning about charts, tallies and pictograms We also practised sorting and matching a variety of items by colour, size and shape.
We continue to practice the days of the week and months every day.
Other curricular areas
- In indoor PE we did some Christmas yoga.
- In outdoor PE we did our Daily Mile.
- We enjoyed our Christmas party, playing lots of games, singing and having some tasty snacks.
- We created some Christmas cards for our families.
- We created drawings and labels for our new school recycling bins.
- We watched our Christmas Pantomine- Cinderella.
- In outdoor learning we read “It’s not a stick!”. We then went outside found a stick, and used our imagination to make a role play with our sticks . There were some great suggestions with window cleaning, fishing rods, horses, broomsticks, unicorns and swords.
- On Tuesday we will have an Outdoor Loose Parts session. Please ensure that you child come dressed appropriately in warm and waterproof clothing.
- The Christmas sale of small toys takes place on Tuesday 14th December. If children wish to participate please ensure that they take in 50 pence coin only.
- Please note that p.1W will finish at 12:10 on the last day of term- Friday 17th December.
- Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond to the literacy and numeracy comments uploaded to the learning journals last Fridays
Have a lovely weekend! 😊