Hello and happy holidays to everyone. We are this happy and excited to be on holiday! What a wonderful bunch of happy, kind and thoughtful children. It is such a joy to teach them all.
This week our focus sounds were y and z. We continue to revise all the sounds taught so far. We also focused on revising our previously learned tricky words. We continue to practice blending using the sounds we have covered so far.
We are continuing to develop our fine motor skills to help us with handwriting. We do this through lots of activities in the classroom as well as our funky fingers sessions. Our handwriting this week focused on correctly forming the h letter.
Our writing prompt this week was “My Christmas tree.” We are focusing on developing our story telling skills by discussing all our ideas as a class, then using a drawing to create a detailed picture which tells a story, and finally retelling our story for an adult to ‘scribe’ for us. Many of us have been “having a go” at writing and mark making all by ourselves. As a challenge some of us have been learning how to write sentences using capital letters, full stops and finger spaces.
This week we continued our Data Handling topic. We worked on asking questions and creating surveys to collect data. We learned about how to use block graphs to display this information. We also practised sorting and matching a variety of items by colour, size and shape.
Other curricular areas:
- We had a Christmas movie afternoon – we watched the Nativity.
- In Outdoor PE this week we did our Daily Mile.
- In Indoor PE this week we did Yoga,
- We made some Christmas crafts.
- The Christmas fair was lots of fun – lots of things to choose from and it was good to practice our money skills.
- Our Christmas sing a long was lots of fun – we really enjoyed singing jingle bells.
- We enjoyed our outdoor loose parts session on Tuesday afternoon. Lots of great engineering, imaginative and co- operative skills.
Thank you for the very kind and generous gifts. They are very much appreciated and is is so thoughtful of you all. Hope that everyone has a really lovely holiday season with a very well deserved rest and lots of fun!
Looking forward to seeing everyone in January!
Miss Wyatt. 😊