Hello and Happy Friday! We have had a super fun and busy week – we hope you enjoy a little snapshot of our learning……….
- Sound of the week: “ew”
- Dictation: few, new, pew, hew, few, chew
- Hold the sentence: My dog has a new chew.
- Tricky Words: revision of all
- Writing “Term 2”
- Our writing ‘Star Steps’ for Term 2 are:
- Capital letters, finger spaces, full stops (non-negotiables)
- Using different types of punctuation
- Using commas
- Sometimes learners will also receive an individual Star Step to support their learning
- Handwriting – assessment of letter formation
- Handwriting – cursive and pre-cursive writing practice. This includes drawing, colouring in and cutting to promote hand strength and pencil control.
- Reading/Literacy activities in class
- Assessment of reading levels
- Your child may move groups or level based on in class assessment
- Reading assessment looks at different reading skills; using the pictures to support reading, following the sentence (reading in order), de-coding words, fluency, using punctuation properly, reading with expression, understanding the text, prediction and expressing opinions
- Completing a book review – this helps us to develop critical thinking skills
- Revising different addition strategies
- PACE addition challenge
- Counting in 2s
- Multiplication (2 Times Table)
- Money – introduction/assessment
Other Curricular Areas
- PE – Yoga and listening games – we now have access to the hall for PE once per week
- Health and Well-being: Diversity
- RSHP – My Body (naming body parts)
- French – colours, numbers to 20 and classroom instructions
Let’s talk learning!
- What does diversity mean?
- What words can you tell me with the ‘ew’ sound?
- Can you write some ‘ew’ words?
- Can you count in 2s?
- Can you count in French?
- Miss Mulholland has been working with small groups of learners doing Literacy and Numeracy revision
- Miss Mulholland has been doing whole class lessons, covering French
- We have worked as a team to create 2 new class displays. One celebrating diversity and the other celebration the New Year…………
It has been a lovely week back in Ladybirds and the children have been working really hard. I have been super proud of how sensible and thoughtful they have been during our “My Body” and “Diversity” discussions.
- Naming parts of the body and discussing which are just for male and female.
- Talking about our differences and how we are all different and that is what makes life interesting.
- Creating our own individual Elmer the Elephants for our Diversity themed display.
- Ladybirds have been working hard on their 2 x table and recognising coins in Numeracy and Maths.
Looking forward to next week
- New sound: oi
- Hold the sentence
- Writing – ‘My Favourite…….’ (using commas)
- Reading – new reading groups
- Numeracy: addition and multiplication
- Maths: Money
Extra Information/ polite reminders
- A little reminder about starting times (P2M 8:45, P2L 8:55). Please wait on the playground with your children until the doors are opened to avoid congestion. The doors won’t be opened until the allocated time, as adults are not always in the classrooms at this time.
- Home-learning: if you are keen to do a little extra at home the areas you could support in are; reading, tricky words and dictation
- Uniform: please label all items of school uniform
We are here to help and support you, please feel free to send in any questions or concerns via office admin or if you are happy to, catch us at the door at the beginning/end of the day.
Thanks for your continued help and support.
We hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
The P2 Team 😊