Looking ahead to next week.
As part of our focus on talking and listening skills, we would like the children to prepare a short talk to present to the class next week. The subject is ‘My favourite place’ This can be anywhere of their choosing, from something as simple as their bedroom or back garden, or further afield such as the swimming pool or a holiday destination.
The success criteria for the talk are as follows
- Be prepared
- Speak clearly
- Say where your favourite place is
- Describe it in a few words
- Say why you like this place.
Optional – bring a drawing of your chosen place, or bring one photograph or souvenir to show. (Please no powerpoints or scrapbooks as the target is development of the children’s talking and listening. Thanks)
N.B We will not be sending reading books home on Thursday
The ‘tricky’ spelling words are sent home each week on the home learning sheet, and you can also find the whole list on our spelling city homework page
This week we have introduced the vowel digraph sk
We made skeleton pictures, tried out a skateboard and practised skipping in PE
In handwriting we practised the letters c and l
Our writing prompt this week was “At Easter”
Supporting reading development at home
- Reading to/with your child (avoiding Oxford Reading tree texts please)
- Vocabulary development.
- Print Awareness – print in the environment- ‘reading’ signs & cereal packets etc
- Narrative Skills – retelling familiar stories in their own words
- Letter Knowledge -recognising the written letters in a variety of fonts
- Phonological Awareness – do these sound the same/different? exploring rhyme etc
- Blending/word building – using the sounds we know to decode or build words –
Numeracy and maths
This week we talked about different times of the day – using vocabulary of Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Night. We also learned to name the days of the week in order and discussed the fact that this goes in a cycle so we can start on any day. We tried naming the day before or after a given day – some of us found this very tricky so please help reinforce this learning at home.
In outdoor PE we practised jumping skills in the sandpit.
In indoor PE we tried different types of skipping.