Hello and Happy Friday.
This is the last blog of the year. It is wonderful to see how much the children have grown during their first year at Buckstone Primary School. What a lovely class they have been. I am so proud of them and just delighted. ❤️
Tricky Words –
Our tricky words this week are where, what and why.
Our writing prompt this week was “ My favourite minibeast.” We discussed all the minibeasts we have seen in out playground over the week to give us some ideas. Lots of us are becoming increasingly independent and using our knowledge of tricky words and phonetic knowledge to write some great pieces.
In handwriting this week we focused on correctly forming the w letter shape. We also practiced writing our tricky words including what, where and why.
We have been recapping a variety of Maths topics from over this year. We focused on numeral recognition, one to one correspondence and counting groups while playing ladybird bingo. We explored symmetry and pattern through looking at and then creating our own butterflies and snails.
Other curricular areas:
Health and Wellbeing –
- We continued with our focus on dance and fitness in PE. We also recapped ball skills this week.
- We continued with our transition activities. We discussed change and did some transition activities. This is to make the transition to P2 as smooth and fun as possible. We understand this can be a worrying time for children as they anticipate a lot of change, but as always, we are here to help and support.
Love my Bus –
We enjoyed a visit from love my bus where we learned all about the benefits of bus travel.
Summer Reading Challenge –
We enjoyed a visit from the library. We learned all about the Summer Reading Challenge. Lots of us are excited about taking part in this. Please see the link below for more information.
Outdoor Learning –
- We enjoyed lots of Outdoor Learning with the lovely weather this week. We especially enjoyed finding bugs in our playground and using chalk and natural materials to create our very own bugs.
Charity Focus –
- Thank you for all the donations. We are very excited that Edinburgh Live are coming to visit on Monday to hear more about our work on this.
- We enjoyed another music session with the YMI.
Loose Parts –
We enjoyed a loose parts session. Lots of great designs.
Minibeasts Topic –
We have been learning about minibeasts this week, focusing on a different bug each day.
On Monday we learned about ladybirds.
On Tuesday we focused on caterpillars and butterflies and looked at the butterfly life cycle.
On Wednesday we looked at slugs and snails and the differences between them. We also looked at the parts of the Snail. We have been finding lots of Snails around the playground over the last few weeks so we enjoyed identifying these on real life Snails!
On Thursday we learned about Dragonflies. We created some amazing dragonfly art.
Ideas for supporting learning at home.
- Can you write the tricky words of the week.
- Can you tell me how many spots a ladybird has?
- Can you tell me what a caterpillar turns into?
- Can you tell me about the different parts of a snail?
- Please, if you can, continue to provide junk for our STEM area. Thank – you to everyone who has provided some so far.
- We will have a loose parts session on Friday.
- P1 will be taking a trip to the woods on Monday afternoon. Please ensure that your child is dressed appropriately.
We are here to help and support you, please feel free to send in any questions or concerns via office admin or if you are happy to, catch us at the door at the beginning/end of the day.
Thanks for your continued help and support. Have a lovely weekend, see you all on Monday!