Literacy & Reading
This week we had a revision week of sounds and ‘tricky words’ we have covered in term 2.
Please continue to revise and practise sounds and ‘tricky’ words’ at home.
Below are some sounds and tricky words which we are finding tricky to read. Please work on these at home: oa, ow, ay, ai, ea, come, some, one, you
No reading was sent home this week – instead we read all together. We focused on sounding out and spotting tricky words. Some children even had a go at reading to the rest of the class. We were able to see some super confident reading!
During reading we have also been concentrating on reading with expression and spotting rhyming words.
- Writing – This week we had a go at some descriptive writing. We watched the story of the Easter Bunny and created our own version of the Easter bunny. We described what they looked like, and what their job was!
- Reading – Whole class.
- We are having a focus on revising maths skills this week (addition, subtraction, order and counting forwards/backwards).
- Subtraction – we have had a whole class focus on subtraction calculations this week. To help with skill you can practise counting backwards. We have also been looking at writing subtractions calculations – remember the larger number always comes first.
- 100 number square – we have been using 100 squares to help solve number calculations.
- Calculations – we have been exploring subtraction and addition calculations – looking at the symbols to make sure we read and complete calculations correctly!
- Number Bonds – we have started looking at number bonds to 10 (all the different ways to make 10 using 2 numbers)
- Symmetry – We have also been revising symmetry, by spotting symmetry in our environment, and creating our own symmetrical patterns using different materials.
Other Curricular Areas
- P.E. – Teamwork games and looking at ‘fairness’ when playing team games. We have a very interesting time talking about what is fair/not fair.
- P.E – we were also exploring different ways of rolling safely this week. We tried pencil rolls, teddy bear rolls, and some children even tried forward rolls!
- Science – We are learning about recycling this week and looking after our environment. We have looked at what we can do to have a positive effect on the environment and how to become more eco-friendly.
- ICT – we are now using iPads to support our learning. Children have been great at sharing and not spending too much time on the iPads!
Learning Through Play
- Fine Motor Skills- we continue to focus on hand strength using threading, play-dough and cutting activities.
- Painting – children were finger fainting symmetrical eggs at the arts and craft table.
- Play Time – we have been setting a ‘Play Time Challenge’ to encourage new friendships. We have been asking P1 to think of someone in the class they have never played with and ask them to play.
- LAST DAY OF TERM! We are planning on having a small end of term party. We will be having squash, crisps and some dancing!
Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning and I hope the children enjoy a well-deserved break!