We have had a busy week this week in Primary 1D.
We have been learning:
- Single sounds of the alphabet: this week we have focused on k, ck and j.
- Tricky words: is and his.
- We have all enjoyed watching Geraldine the Giraffe to help us learn our sounds – we find Geraldine really funny. You can find these clips on Youtube.
- At writing we have focused on writing sentences using capital letter to start the sentence, finger spaces and full stops at the end of the sentences. Our focus this week was to write all about ourselves and the words we used for this were: I, am, have, name, like and to. We are writing short sentences. Mrs de Bonrostro is very proud of our efforts as we all worked very hard.
- We have worked our reading book. We like to do our ‘faster fingers’ game where we have to find words in our book very fast before we have read the book for the first time and after.
- We are working very hard in our handwriting. Every morning while everybody gets ready we do a ‘soft start’ getting our clipboards and working on our handwriting letter of the day (sometimes is two days).
- We are doing dictation every week. We are getting better at this!
Home learning ideas:
- Reading: work on the new sounds and tricky words provided on the blue cards. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day. Please ensure you continue to do that as this is vital for your child’s reading progress. Please make sure you work on pure sounds when doing consonants and don’t add a vowel at the end e.g: ‘b’ not ‘be’ or ‘ba’ this difficults blending sounds correctly.
- Reading book: read the book with your child. Use your reading caterpillars to work on comprehension and higher order thinking skills, copy the words from the book and ask your child to make sentences with them.
- Read to your child books everyday and enjoy them.
- This week we have played this game and the children are really enjoying it: http://www.literactive.com/Download/live.asp?swf=story_files/hanging_monkeys_US.swf
- If your child is enjoying writing please don’t stop them to correct the letter formation as this will stop the flow and could put him/her off from writing (letters, stories, cards, etc). After he/she has finished you can remind them the formation if you wish.
Numeracy and Maths
- This week we have started to work on symmetry .
- We have work using different items and using a line of symmetry to create our symmetrical pictures. We also went outdoors to look for items that are symmetrical. Look at our creations!
- We have continued to work on addition using number lines, counting items, etc.
Home learning ideas:
- Please continue to look at and discuss numbers in the environment with your child. On buses, cookers, door numbers etc. This will help us with our number recognition as we continue with our numeracy work.
- We have been using this game to help us with addition:
- You can practice addition by: rolling two dice and adding the result, playing snakes and ladders and ask your child to guess where they have to go , use cards ( each player has to show one and whoever guess the number gets the card, the winner is the player who gets more number of cards), etc
- Assembly: This week we learned about Remembrance Day.
- HWB: Our focus is ‘Be kind to others’. We are continuing to fill each other’s buckets!
- P. E.Tuesday (throwing and catching skills). This week we loved our ‘hot potato’ game. Friday (fitness focus).
- French: we have been learning numbers up to 10 at our sing time. We are getting used to say good morning in French every day.
- Home learning went home yesterday with our new sounds. Please continue to work on learning the sounds with your children. This should be for a maximum of 10 minutes per day.
- On Mondays our new reading books go home in our purple folder. Please remember to bring it back to school every day so we can work in our reading. If a child does not bring the book on Monday another book will not be handed until the previous one has been returned.
- If you have some spare time to come an help please let me know. I am also looking for a helper to do administrative jobs!
- As Christmas is fast approaching, we are starting to collect items for our P1 hamper we are creating as a raffle prize for the Parent Council. The P1 hamper is going to have a Christmas theme so any donations relating to Christmas which could be added to our classes hamper would be greatly appreciated.
- Thank you for your donations to Children in Need.
- Christmas Fair on Saturday 30th November!
- Thank you for your continued support in your child’s learning.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs de Bonrostro