This week has been a very short one! We were on holiday on Monday and the school was closed to pupils on Thursday.
At reading we have worked on reading skills using our reading books and other texts.
We have started working on becoming aware of the spelling rules required when adding the suffix -ing to a root word. ” Words that finish with -ing”. We will continue to work on this during the next weeks.
We have been writing what is our favourite part of our reading book and why. In our writing we had to use the word because and justify our text choice. We found this a little tricky but with practice we will find it easier.
We have revisited our tricky words from block 6 (see previous post).
Home learning ideas:
- Please use the spelling grid to revise the spelling words that your child is working on.
- Read the reading book at home (no new book this week)
- Start to prepare the talk with your child (please see paper copy of the instructions on your child’s purple folder). The children will present a talk to the class during the week beginning 10th June. The talk will be about their favourite place (which can be anywhere at all). We will be looking at : Organise the talk so that it makes sense, speak clearly so that everyone can hear, make eye contact with your audience, tell why you like this place.
Numeracy and Maths
We have continued to work on Fractions: what a half means and how to write a half in pictures, words and notations.
Home learning ideas:
- Ask the children to find as many examples they can of halves being mentioned in newspapers and magazines. These examples might come from sports reports (half-time, first half), times (half an hour), adverts (half price), measurements ( half full, half a cup), etc. Children draw, stick or write about them.
- Ask the children to draw shapes and find different ways of finding half.
We have been looking at work of Monet and we have made our own creations inspired by his work.
At Music we have continued to learn about the different sections of an orchestra. This week we have been looking at the brass family. Mrs Cross brought her trumpet and explained to us how to use and the different parts on it.
Many thanks for your continued support,