Financial Support and Advice (Government and other institutions)

Financial Support and Advice

Financial Support and Advice (Government and other institutions)

  •  Financial Support available to families with young children from Social Security Scotland

Please find below a message from Social Security Scotland:

We thought it may be of interest to the parents/carers of the children you care for to provide some information on the financial support available to families with young children.

The new Scottish Child Payment (£40 every four weeks for eligible children under six) starts on 15 February and we are encouraging parents to apply now.

  • Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods

Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods are payments that help towards the costs of being pregnant or looking after a child. They’re part of the 5 family payments you may be able to get from Social Security Scotland, along with Scottish Child Payment.

Best Start Grant is made up of 3 one-off payments:

  • Pregnancy and Baby Payment
  • Early Learning Payment
  • School Age Payment

Further help with money problems

You can also get general advice for your money problems from (websites links):

  • Money Talk Team – get help to make sure you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to and advice to help you make the most of your money
  • Scotland’s Financial Health Service – find information and advice on debt, managing money, housing, homelessness and ethical lending
  • National Debtline – get free, confidential and independent debt advice on 0808 808 4000
  • Citizens Advice Scotland – visit your nearest bureau to speak to somebody face-to-face, or call 0845 450 0351
  • Shelter Scotland – call the free helpline for housing advice on 0808 800 4444
  • Money Advice Scotland – find details of agencies that give independent financial advice
  • Changeworks

 Fuel billing and debt support for households contact

Contact Aidan Tracey 0131 539 8640,,

  • Citizens Advice Edinburgh Online

Advice and support at

 Tel 0131 510 5510

  • CHAI (Community Help and Advice Initiative)

Help with: Income maximisation, Employability support, Family support, Money advice, Welfare rights, Housing advice. You can contact Maximise via: Tel: 0131 442 2100

  • Family and Household Support

Can offer support and advice with family relationships, parenting, mental health and well-being, employment and learning, housing options and neighbour disputes. Help with accessing food banks, debt, budgeting, welfare benefits, applying for grants, funding or furniture.

  • Home Energy Scotland  

Free and impartial advice for anyone worried about energy bills. Home heating and energy use will be affected by people staying home to avoid picking up the Coronavirus. If you’re worried about your energy bills or struggling to stay warm at home, you can contact them. Advisors are briefed with the latest information from energy suppliers and from the Scottish Government, and they are up to date with any new developments.

Advice is free, impartial and funded by the Scottish Government. Phone 0808 808 2282 to chat to a friendly advisor. Call for free on 0808 808 2282. Lines are open Monday – Friday, 8am – 8pm, and Saturday 9am – 5pm. Please note phone lines are often quite busy in the evenings and at weekends.

By email:
Complete our contact form and select ’email’ when asked how you’d like us to get back to you. We’ll aim to be in touch within 5-10 working days.

Or request a call back on our website:

  • Food banks

Edinburgh Food project

Money advice service from Edinburgh food project