Happy Friday P1L!
I hope you have enjoyed this week of learning in school. We have had a very busy week – you have all worked really hard! Well done!
Here is what we have been up to this week:
In literacy this week we have learned four new sounds – ‘sp” ‘st’ ‘sw’ and ‘tw’. We enjoyed thinking of words which have the sounds in them, looking for words in our reading books and drawing pictures of words which have the sounds in them. We also continued to learn and look at the Block 3 tricky words. Please continue to practice your tricky words at home and our new sounds each week. Here are some videos we use in school which you could watch again at home.Please practice learning how to read, write and use the tricky words. (Block 1-Block 3)
For reading, we each got a new ORT book and we predicted what we thought was going to happen in the story before reading, we had word hunts and we read both individually and with a partner. We also practised our comprehension skills by completing a fill in the missing word activity sheet. We enjoyed the extra challenge of reading our book backwards this week! Reading books will be sent home on a Thursday and to be returned to school on a Monday.
In writing, we wrote about a journey to a beach. We imagined what sand feels and looks like and planned what we were going to write about. We included more descriptive words into our writing, and made sure we included at least 3 points in our writing. We also practised using sentence structure correctly.
Things to try at home;
- Practice reading your reading book which is sent home! Read the book forwards and backwards, ask your child questions about the story, the characters etc. You could extend the learning of the book and ask your child to write the next part of the story.
- Revise our new sounds and tricky words! Can you read them and write them?
- Write a story about your weekend! Can you add lots of detailed language?
In numeracy this week we practised our counting skills and recognising numbers up to 100. We counted screened and unscreened collections together and also practised making equal groups. We also revised our maths topic of time.
We revised days of the week, months in the year and the order they come in/what season each month is in. We also practised telling the time and writing the clock hands onto clocks. We looked and played with clocks and learned how to read o’clock times on a clock. We had lots of fun learning this! As an extra challenge we learned how to read half past times as well!
Things to try at home:
- Practice counting to 100.
- Can you notice numbers in your local environment? On buses, houses or outdoors? What number comes before or after the one you see? What is 10 more than that number?
- Practice telling the time and looking at clocks. What hour comes next?
- Revise the days of the week and months of the year. Ask a family member if there is any special months to your family? Family birthdays etc!
Other Curricular Areas
P.E: We played some fun fitness games and practised our balancing skills. We also enjoyed our fun activities with the P.E Coach.
French: We have been learning how to count to 10 in french and basic greetings. We also have been learning the days of the week and how to say ‘Today it is..’ We also learned how to say my name is and practised introducing ourselves to a partner. We are really enjoying learning French with Ms Leach!
- I hope you have a lovely Monday/Tuesday holiday! Enjoy the sun and playing outdoors!
- On Thursday – we have our whole class live session at 9:00am-9:30am – I will send out a Teams link to this on Wednesday. Work for the LTAH day will be published on the blog on Wednesday evening.
- We will be continuing to work on the SNSA assessments next week. Well done to everyone! You all worked really hard and concentrated really hard whilst doing them!
- Please bring appropriate outdoor clothing as we will have one outdoor lesson per day.
I hope you have a lovely long weekend!