Happy Friday P1L!
I hope you have enjoyed this week of learning in school. We have had a very busy first week back together – you have all worked really hard! Well done!
Here is what we have been up to this week:
In literacy this week we have learned four new sounds – ‘sm” ‘sn’ ‘sc’ and ‘sk’. We enjoyed thinking of words which have the sounds in them, looking for words in our reading books and drawing pictures of words which have the sounds in them. We also learned began to look at the Block 3 tricky words. Please continue to practice your tricky words at home and our new sounds each week. Here are some videos we use in school which you could watch again at home.
For reading, we each got a new ORT book and we predicted what we thought was going to happen in the story before reading, we had word hunts and we read both individually and with a partner. We also practised our comprehension skills by completing a fill in the missing word activity sheet. We enjoyed the extra challenge of reading our book backwards this week!
In writing, we wrote about our Easter holidays. We thought about something we had enjoyed doing in the holidays and wrote a story about it. We practised adding more detail into our sentences by added interesting words to help our writing be more descriptive. We are still working on this!
Things to try at home;
- Practice reading your reading book which is sent home! Read the book forwards and backwards, ask your child questions about the story, the characters etc. You could extend the learning of the book and ask your child to write the next part of the story.
- Revise our new sounds and tricky words! Can you read them and write them?
- Write a story about your weekend! Can you add lots of detailed language?
In numeracy this week we practised our counting skills and recognising numbers up to 100. We also started our maths topic of time.
We revised days of the week, months in the year and the order they come in/what season each month is in. We thought about something which happens in each month – such as our birthdays or a holiday and drew beautiful pictures to help us remember each month. We also learned how to tell the time. We looked and played with clocks and learned how to read o’clock times on a clock. We had lots of fun learning this! As an extra challenge we learned how to read half past times as well!
Things to try at home:
- Practice counting to 100.
- Can you notice numbers in your local environment? On buses, houses or outdoors? What number comes before or after the one you see? What is 10 more than that number?
- Practice telling the time and looking at clocks. What hour comes next?
- Revise the days of the week and months of the year. Ask a family member if there is any special months to your family? Family birthdays etc!
Other Curricular Areas
P.E: We played some fun fitness games and practised our balancing skills.
Drama: We learned how to show and express our emotions through our faces and our body language.’
French: We have been learning how to count to 10 in french and basic greetings. We also have been learning the days of the week and how to say ‘Today it is..’ We also learned how to say my name is and practised introducing ourselves to a partner. We are really enjoying learning French with Ms Leach!
- P.E will be on Monday and Thursday.
- Next week we will be doing the SNSA assessments which we have gone over together as a class and supported the children in making them seem like a fun game they will be playing with our PSAs.
- Please bring appropriate outdoor clothing as we will have one outdoor lesson per day.
- Ms Leach will be teaching the class on Monday next week.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!