Happy Friday P1L!
This week we have had lots of fun focussing on our health and wellbeing for Health Week! We enjoyed our mini sports day and learning about the SHANARRI indicators! I hope you have enjoyed this week of learning in school. We have had a very busy week – you have all worked really hard! Well done!
Here is what we have been up to this week:
In literacy this week we have learned four new sounds – ‘ng’ and ‘nk’. We enjoyed thinking of words which have the sounds in them, looking for words in our reading books and drawing pictures of words which have the sounds in them. We also enjoyed writing words with these sounds in sentences, reading texts and highlighting the new sounds and playing games! We also continued to learn and look at the Block 3 tricky words. Please continue to practice your tricky words at home and our new sounds each week. Here are some videos we use in school which you could watch again at home. Please practice learning how to read, write and use the tricky words. (Block 1-Block 3)
For reading, we each got a new ORT book and we predicted what we thought was going to happen in the story before reading, we had word hunts and we read both individually and with a partner. We also practised our comprehension skills by completing a fill in the missing word activity sheet. We enjoyed the extra challenge of reading our book backwards this week! Reading books will be sent home on a Thursday and to be returned to school on a Monday.
Things to try at home;
- Practice reading your reading book which is sent home! Read the book forwards and backwards, ask your child questions about the story, the characters etc. You could extend the learning of the book and ask your child to write the next part of the story.
- Revise our new sounds and tricky words! Can you read them and write them?
- Write a story about your weekend! Can you add lots of detailed language?
- Recognise and use our non-negotiables in everything you write!
In numeracy this week we practised our counting skills and recognising numbers up to 100. We also looked at 100 squares and noticing patterns on them. We counted screened and unscreened collections together and also practised making equal groups. We also practiced thinking of other ways to make numbers on our fingers, sequencing numerals and identifying numbers up to 100.
Things to try at home:
- Practice counting to 100.
- Can you notice numbers in your local environment? On buses, houses or outdoors? What number comes before or after the one you see? What is 10 more than that number?
Other Curricular Areas
P.E: We enjoyed our sports day, doing yoga and dance in the classroom and our morning maths exercise counting activity.
French: We have been learning how to count to 10 in french and basic greetings. We also have been learning the days of the week and how to say ‘Today it is..’ We also learned how to say my name is and practised introducing ourselves to a partner. We are really enjoying learning French with Ms Leach!
Health and Wellbeing: We enjoyed learning about SHANARRI and drawing pictures of a time we have felt safe, healthy, achieving, nurtured, active, responsible, respected and included. We also discussed what each of the words meant.
Photos of the Week:
P1L’s Highlights of the Week:
Jack – I enjoyed doing my maths worksheet.
Abigail – I liked doing the Sporticus work outs.
Barney – I liked doing maths this week.
Haniya – I liked playing with the loose parts.
Lucy – I liked learning about Health and Wellbeing and how to keep myself healthy.
Alex – I liked playing with my friends.
- Ms Leach will be teaching the class on Monday.
- P.E will be on Monday and Thursday.
- Please bring appropriate outdoor clothing as we will have one outdoor lesson per day.
- On Friday we will be going to do Outdoor Loose Parts in the Playground. Please wear appropriate clothing you don’t mind getting dirty or muddy!
- Please return your reading folder (book and reading diary inside the folder please!) on Monday!
I hope you have a lovely weekend!