Happy Friday P1L!
I know this week has been a little bit different for us but it was lovely seeing those of you learning at home on the Teams meeting on Tuesday. I hope you are all well and that you are enjoying the sunshine!
Here is what we have been up to in school this week:
In literacy this week we have learned the new sounds – ‘rn’ ‘rd’ ‘rm’ and ‘rt’. We enjoyed thinking of words which have the sounds in them, looking for words in our reading books and drawing pictures of words which have the sounds in them. We also enjoyed writing words with these sounds in sentences, reading texts and highlighting the new sounds and playing games! We also continued to learn and look at the Block 3 tricky words. This week we focussed on ‘where’ ‘why’ and ‘what’. Please continue to practice your tricky words at home and our new sounds each week. Please practice learning how to read, write and use the tricky words at home! (Block 1-Block 3)
For reading, we each got a new ORT book and we predicted what we thought was going to happen in the story before reading, we had word hunts and we read both individually and with a partner. We also practised our comprehension skills by completing a fill in the missing word activity sheet. We enjoyed the extra challenge of reading our book backwards this week! Reading books will be sent home on a Thursday and to be returned to school on a Monday! Please feel free to write any comments in your child’s reading diary! Some of us even read our first play scripts this week of a story we already knew. If you are learning at home please feel free to find a book on the Oxford Owl website at your child’s level. If you could make a note of this in their reading diary/a piece of paper to let me know what books your child has read on their return to school.
Things to try at home;
- Practice reading your reading book which is sent home! Read the book forwards and backwards, ask your child questions about the story, the characters etc. You could extend the learning of the book and ask your child to write the next part of the story.
- Revise our new sounds and tricky words! Can you read them and write them?
- Write a story about your weekend! Can you add lots of detailed language?
- Recognise and use our non-negotiables in everything you write!
- Write a story about an animal, bug or plant you see on a walk you may have this weekend.
In numeracy this week we practised our counting skills and recognising numbers up to 100. We also looked at 100 squares and noticing patterns on them. We counted screened and unscreened collections together and also practised making equal groups. We also practiced thinking of other ways to make numbers on our fingers, sequencing numerals and identifying numbers up to 100.
We also started our new maths topic of fractions. We had lots of fun halving objects, making half a pizza , colouring in half of a shape etc. We also learned what a whole and a quarter looks like.
Things to try at home:
- Practice counting to 100.
- Can you notice numbers in your local environment? On buses, houses or outdoors? What number comes before or after the one you see? What is 10 more than that number?
- Practice counting items or groups of items in your house. Can you make tally marks to show how many you have?
- Practice halving things in your house – food, paper, splitting your toys into equal groups etc,
Other Curricular Areas
P.E: We enjoyed practising our athletic skills and learning how to use our arms and looking where we are going to help us run faster.
Outdoor Learning: We had lots of fun playing with the outdoor loose parts and exploring building and making things together! We also enjoyed playing outside the classroom in the courtyard for learning through play!
Potato Needs a Bath Performance: The children loved the performance of ‘Potato Needs a Bath’. They had lots of fun creating their own party hats for their vegetable and engaged amazingly with both the recorded and live part of the performance.
Photos of the Week:
P1L’s Highlights of the Week:
Sofie – I liked playing outside with my friends.
Lucy – I liked doing my reading booklet.
Archie – I liked learning the new letters this week.
Logan – I liked playing with the big bricks.
- P.E will be on Monday and Thursday.
- Please bring appropriate outdoor clothing as we will have one outdoor lesson per day.
- Please return your reading folder (book and reading diary inside the folder please!) on Monday!
I hope you have a lovely weekend!