Dear Parents / Carers
We hope you had a nice week.
If you haven’t returned your child’s learning story to school, please do it as soon as possible.
Here is a summary of our learning this week.
This week our focus has been addition (to 10, 30 and 100 for some). We have been working on understanding the link between a digit, its place and its value (focus on tens and units). When adding two-digit numbers we need to first add the units and then the tens. We are still using, when needed, the counting on strategy when adding a two-digit number with one digit number.
Ideas to do at home:
- We have been using this game in class to work on place value.
- When working at home ensure your child works on writing the sum using the correct symbols for add/plus and equal. Write simple sums and ask your child to write the answers and explained how she/he has worked the answer. A couple of these a day will be good practice for your child.
- Addition to 10
- Adding two-digit numbers
We have been working about soft c. Soft c is when the letter c makes the ‘s’ sound. Magic e is making the i say its name. Also, when ce come together the sound is always s and the e is silent. Examples: space, bounce, chance and spice
Tricky words: write, great and move.
Our reading books are non- fiction books. We are learning to identify the features of non-fiction texts.
We have been working on comprehension skills: read a text, look for key words from it, answering questions about the text, etc. This is proving to be hard as the texts get more complex. When reading books at home please ask questions to your child about the text.
In writing we wrote descriptions of Granny Island. We are learning to use interesting describing words. During the week, while reading books, we have made a bank of describing words (adjectives).
In handwriting we have worked on writing cursive letters n and m
Ideas to do at home:
- Please practice the tricky words from Block 5 that we have worked on at school: write, great, move, story, does, done, school, before, because.
- Please keep working on tricky words from previous weeks. Look, cover and write strategy is a good one to use at home.
- Words to read at home to practice soft c: space, chance, bounce, grace, face, lace, blaze, ice, dice, rice, mice, dance, prince, since, ounce, etc.
- Practice cursive letter formation. Please reinforce how to hold the pencil correctly and the right letter formation
PE we have been practicing Scottish Dances. We are really good at them and we are having fun.
Social Studies: We have continued to learn about life on an island through Katie Morag. We have enjoyed setting up a Post Office role play to link with our learning about Katie Morag. We also have talked about Robert Burns.
RHSP We have discussed the Friendship topic: What is a good friend, how can we be friends and the fact that we can be friendly to others even though we might not be friends, etc.
- Drop in Session for parents on Wednesday 1st February (see school email).
- Loose parts on Friday 3rd February.
Have a wonderful weekend!