Good afternoon Mega Meerkats, we have had a great week this week focusing on Health Week. We have been getting active and learning about all the ways that we can keep our body and mind healthy.
In reading this week, we have been learning about the history of Ramadan. We highlighted the key information in a reading passage and shared our thought with the class.
We continued with our persuasive writing adverts that we planned. We learned about the standards that adverts must meet such as: telling us all the information that we need to know about a product and that we cannot lie on an advert. We discussed the different persuasive language techniques that adverts use, including: repetition, speaking to people directly (saying ‘you’) and highlighting the positive things about a product or company. We created our own poster adverts for products and companies of our choice.
Things to do at home –
See the progress record for this week’s reading pages. Practise the different reading skills that we have focused on in class such as: creating and answering your own questions, pick an important part of the book and illustrate it, write a short paragraph about why it is an important part of the book or use a dictionary to find the meaning of any unknown words.
Spelling words will be posted on Monday – practise writing them out in the air with your finger and trying to use them in sentences.
Try to persuade someone at home to agree to something you believe in (to recycle more, to use less plastic, that dancing is the best sport, that your football team is the best football team). Try using the techniques that we have discussed in class.
Maths and Numeracy
This week in numeracy we have continued with our topic of time. We have been learning how to convert 12-hour time into 24-hour time by adding 12 to the hour.
In our time topic, we have also been practising calculating time durations. For example, ‘I left the house at 9:30am and returned home at 12:05pm, how long was I out of the house for?’ To work this out we have been using an empty number line. I have attached the working for this example.
Things to do at home –
Practise your problem solving – https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/7-11-years/problem-solving
Log on to Sumdog and try to complete this week’s challenge ‘Time Tastic’ before it ends next Friday.
Practise your times tables throughout the week to improve your mental multiplication. Focus on times tables you find tricky
Other curricular areas
- For health week we used our ICT time to research different healthy foods. We discussed what makes food healthy and how these healthy foods affect our bodies, particularly our organs.
- During the week we learned about different substances and how these can affect our health and our bodies.
- We began our new topic of ‘Relationships, Sexual Health and Parenthood’ this week where we learned the proper names of the parts of our bodies.
- During our outdoor learning time we completed the daily mile and we all seen an improvement in our fitness towards the end of the week.
- This morning P5M had a great time at the waterboard field for the sports morning. I am so impressed with P5M, I seen excellent team work, encouragement and great behaviour this morning. Well done!
Have a great weekend!