We hope you had a good week.
This week in P2 we have been learning:
In literacy we have learned two new vowel diagraphs -ai and -ay. These are two ways of writing the same sound.
We learned that ai often comes in the middle of a word (e.g. nail, pain, drain) and that ay often comes at the end of a word (e.g. pray, stay, pay).
We have used this symbol and the phrase: ‘Eh? What did you say?’ to help us to remember this sound.
This week at writing we created a piece of writing without support. We described our own animal that we created by ‘mixing’ two animals. We made very interesting animals!
In Maths we have been learning about time. Our focus has been days of the week and months of the year.
We have continued to work on our numeracy skills through our SEAL programme (different groups will work with different numbers and skills depending on their abilities to be able to make progress accordingly):
- Counting backwards and forwards from a given number within the range of 30, 100 and beyond for some.
- Adding two collections of items (uncovered and covered).
- Sharing amounts equally.
- Working on doubles to ten.
In PE we have worked on balance skills (indoors) and ball skills (outdoors): hand and feet skills.
We have started an interesting topic on animals across the world through the book ‘Polly Jean Pyjama Queen’
We have continued to work on our wellbeing indicators.
Both classes have a special focus on Kindness.
On Thursday we made the most of the rain. We learned how to do paper boats and tried them in the puddles in the playground. They sank…but we are going to keep trying different materials and designs. What a great time we had!
Things to do at home
Today your child will bring a sheet with how to from cursive letters correctly. Your child could practice how to write her/his name using cursive letters.
Literacy online games
- Choose the sounds we have worked on so far: https://www.ictgames.com/mobilePage/forestPhonics/index.html
- Practice tricky words Block 1, 2 and three. Your child should practice how to read and write these.
We have listened to this song:
Can your child’s name all the months on the year? Does your child now in which month she/he was born?
- Next Tuesday we will have a visit from Zoolab linked to our topic.
- On Thursday we will have Loose parts. Please ensure your child has appropriate clothing. We will be outdoors no matter the weather (unless torrential rain).
- Please ensure your child brings a jacket every day to school. As mentioned above children will be outdoors in all weathers.
- Purple folder. Thank you for your support in emptying the purple folders each day.
- Please we would like to remind you that toys and Pokémon cards should not be brought to school.
- A reminder to name all items of clothing and shoes, and to check names on items brought home in case your child accidentally acquires a jumper belonging to someone else.
- We would appreciate donations of any unwanted empty or partially used notebooks or diaries (used pages can be removed). Also, any enticing writing implements (i.e., glittery pencils/gel pens/ pencils with feathers etc – anything other than standard school issue type pencils/pens). The children enjoy choosing resources from the table to use in their independent learning.
- We are looking for small pieces of ‘junk’ for modelling e.g., toothpaste boxes, tea bag boxes, snack bar boxes. The more interesting shapes the better!
Have a wonderful weekend!