Blog Post 19.05.23
We hope that you have had a good week.
- We have a session of loose parts on Tuesday 23rd May.
- Please return Learning Stories to school ASAP.
Here is a summary of our learning.
- We have been working on our reading books in class. These were sent home yesterday.
- Our tricky words this week were: music, mountain, enough and almost. We have been learning to read these words.
- We have continued to work on our individual block of spelling words.
- In grammar we have been learning to use connectives.
- In writing we wrote a poem based on the work we have been doing over the last few weeks in our poetry lessons.
- We finished up our phonics block on the suffix -ing. Here are some photos which explain the rules we have been teaching the pupils.
Learning at home
Ask your child if they can add the suffix -ing to these root words.
Can they explain the spelling rule which helped them?
Please continue to read reading books at home and ask questions to check for understanding.
Also, please remember that in June, the pupils in P2 will be asked to give a short talk on a subject of their choice. This will begin Monday 5th June. Information on this is provided below.
Pupils can choose to talk about a hobby/interest, how they look after their pet, a favourite wild animal, favourite film etc.
The focus is on selecting ideas and relevant information, organising these into a logical sequence and using words which will interest the audience.
Please see guidance below on how best to prepare for this.
1. Choose a topic.
2. Think about the ‘W’ questions: Who (who is this about?) What (What do they do?) Why (Why is it interesting?) Where? When?
3. You may wish to make cards for each heading with a picture and/or key words. Don’t write whole sentences to read out loud.
4. Once the information is organised, practise delivering the talk to family at home.
Thank you in advance for your support with this.
- We have been revising addition strategies.
- We have been learning to estimate and weigh items using non-standard units.
Learning at home
- There is an addition SumDog challenge which goes live tonight.
- Choose an object e.g. a pen. Find 3 things that are heavier and 3 things that are lighter.
- Choose 5 items from around the house and put them in order from (estimated) heaviest to lightest.
- Draw attention to the weight of different items when you are cooking / baking.
Other areas of the curriculum
- As part of our equalities focus for this term, we had an interesting and informative talk on racism.
- As part of the RSHP programme we have been talking about being confident in our bodies. We read a poem called ‘I’m glad I’m me’ and discussed the importance of being positive about your body and also the fact that your body is your body (body autonomy).
Here are a few photos from the last few weeks.
Have a lovely weekend,