We are grateful for your continued donations of small, clean items of recycling for our STEM area
The children have been developing a wide range of skills through independent learning opportunities in class and outdoors..
This week we have introduced the vowel digraph sh as well as revising and assessing the reading/recognition of all our block one ‘tricky’ words .
We continue to use core reading book resources in school as we begin to develop developing the children’s reading comprehension skills, exploring the cognitive strategies of activating, inferring, monitoring/clarifying, questioning, searching/selecting, summarizing, and visualising.
Please ensure all reading books are returned on Monday morning so that they can be allocated to a different group/class.
Our Writing prompt was ‘.. at the shop…’
Numeracy and Maths
We have been working on individual numeracy targets this week, including ordering numbers to 20 or 100
Core numeracy skills this week included
- writing the numerals 1 – 10 ( and beyond) correctly
- counting backwards from 10 (or 20 for some pupils).
- naming the next number in an isolated short backwards number sequence. ie. I say, 10, 9, 8 (they say 7)
- establishing a collection (give me 9 counters/raisins/etc)
- counting a collection beyond 10 with accurate 1-1 correspondence
- recognising numerals
- sequencing a short selection of numerals ( e.g. 5,6,7,8)
- making instant finger patterns (show me 6 fingers without counting them)
- recognising dice patterns and clapping the amount of dots on the dice
Our challenge numeracy skills were.
- adding two collections with the second one screened ( e.g. here are 8 counters, there are 5 more hiding under this pot, how many altogether?)
- sequencing numerals within the range 0-100
- naming the number after a given number (0-30)
- counting backwards from 30, starting and stopping at different points
- investigating which equal groups can be made from a given number ( e.g. can I make 2 equal groups/3 equal groups/4 equal groups/5 equal groups from 12 counters? What about if I have 16 counters, or 18 etc)
Looking ahead to next week
World book day is on Thursday. If your child would like to bring a favourite book to show the class they are welcome to do so. We are not inviting the children to dress up this year.
Other areas of the curriculum
In PE we explored different ways to balance on a gym mat. We balanced on our own and also with a partner. We had sonme great creative ideas.
A reminder to please name all items of clothing and shoes, and to check names on items brought home in case your child accidentally acquires a jumper belonging to someone else.